Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


8 May 2023

Match Reports


8 May 2023

Mark Hughes' Bantams will face Carlisle United in the Sky Bet League Two Play-Offs, after securing a sixth-place finish with today’s 1-1 draw at home to champions Leyton Orient.

The O’s opened the scoring through Jordan Brown just after the 40th minute mark, but the Bantams struck back instantly through a deflected Brad Halliday volley, in front of a modern-day league attendance record at the University of Bradford Stadium, which collectively paid tribute to the lives lost 38 years ago in the Valley Parade Fire Disaster.

The hosts, backed by over 20,000 Bantams, came closest to opening the scoring inside the first five minutes.

An Adam Clayton corner was met by Andy Cook, and his header looked to be looping over Lawrence Vigouroux, but the league's golden glove winner tipped the effort onto the bar. 

From the resulting clearance, Clayton played the ball back into the box where Sam Stubbs and Romoney Crichlow both connected, but neither centre-half was able to direct a shot on target.

Thanks to a quick free-kick from Clayton moments later, Jamie Walker was given space to have a shot at goal, but his effort hit the side netting as the home side looked to edge in front.

Just after the 20th-minute mark, City created another good chance through talisman Cook.

Shadrach Ogie slipped, and gave the City frontman the opportunity to test the 'keeper from just outside the box, but Vigouroux managed to keep the game goalless.

It was the away side, though, who took the lead five minutes before the half-time interval, through Brown. 

Orient’s corner was initially dealt with by City, but made its way back into the box to Brown, who slotted home the opening goal of the game from close range.

The champions were not in front long, though, as Halliday provided the Bantams’ instant response, with his first goal for the club.

The right-back’s volleyed effort found its way past Vigouroux, after the shot took a heavy deflection off Ogie, to ensure Hughes’ men went into the break with the point they needed to guarantee their place in the play-offs.

In the second half, neither team created much. The best chance came from the visitors where O’s defender Ogie watched his header from a corner stopped by Harry Lewis.

City pushed in search of a winner. Liam Ridehalgh drilled a shot to Vigouroux’s right but the Orient stopper did well to push the left-back’s shot behind for a corner.

The rest of the second half continued to prove a cagey affair between the two sides, as the Bantams fans got behind the boys in claret and amber heading into the closing stages.

The point was enough for City to finish 6th in Sky Bet League Two, meaning they will now face Carlisle over two legs, the first being this Sunday at the University of Bradford Stadium at 7.00pm. 

CITY: Harry Lewis, Brad Halliday, Liam Ridehalgh, Richie Smallwood (C), Andy Cook, Jamie Walker (Emmanuel Osadebe 75’), Alex Gilliead, Scott Banks (Ryan East 75’), Romoney Crichlow, Sam Stubbs, Adam Clayton (Matt Derbyshire 63’). Subs not used: Colin Doyle, Matty Platt, Dion Pereira, Thierry Nevers.

GOALS: Halliday (43’).

ORIENT: Lawrence Vigoroux, Tom James (Jayden Sweeney 63’), Shadrach Ogie (Dan Happe 70’), Paul Smyth, Jordan Brown, George Concur, Idris El Mizouni (Craig Clay 74’), Aaron Drinan (Charlie Kelman 62’), Omar Beckles (C), Rob Hunt, Kieran Sadiler (Theo Archibald 62’). Subs not used: Rhys Byrne, Ruel Sotiriou. 

GOALS: Brown (41’).

ATTENDANCE: 22,576 (1,902 Orient supporters).

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Contact