Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


24 October 2023

Match Reports


24 October 2023

The Bantams fell to their first defeat in five matches under the caretaker management of Kevin McDonald, with a 4-1 loss at MK Dons. 

The home side opened the scoring early through Joe Tomlinson in the fourth minute, but the Bantams were able to level the game just over 10 minutes later through a Alex Gilliead.

The hosts regained their lead just before the half-hour mark from a powerful Jack Payne free-kick to give the hosts the lead at the break.

Although City had attacking periods in the second half, goals on the hour mark from Max Dean and a 90th-minute strike from skipper Alex Gilbey secured all three points for MK Dons.

After a bright start from City, it was the hosts who opened the scoring after four minutes. MK won a corner and the ball was played short to the edge of the area, where Tomlinson’s right-footed effort broke the dealock.

The Dons continued to add pressure to City and came inches from doubling their lead just after the 10th minute. Tomlinson almost doubled his tally for the day after a ball whipped in from the right side found him in the box, and his effort struck the post. 

The Bantams continued to push forward and equalised in the 17th minute through a brilliant Gilliead strike. Bobby Pointon won the ball high in the hosts' half, feeding Gilliead who drove towards goal. His powerful right-footed strike beat Craig MacGillivray to even the scoring.

The home side regained their lead just after the half-hour mark from a Payne free-kick. The former City loanee struck a powerful 30-yard free-kick into the top corner to give Mike Williamson's side heading into half-time.

Coming out of the break, the Bantams controlled possession but were unable to create chances to get back into the game, whereas the hosts came close to extending their lead if not for a great save from Harry Lewis to deny Max Dean.

Gilbey’s cross was met at the back post by Tomlinson, who nodded down into the area for Dean, but the lively home forward could only see his effort saved by City’s No.1, who tipped onto the bar.

After a sustained attacking period from City, the Buckinghamshire side countered and extended their lead through Dean, who was not to be denied for long. Tomlinson’s cross from the left flank was delivered into a dangerous area and met by Dean to give the home side a two-goal advantage.

As the second half entered its final stages, MK Dons captain Alex Gilbey got himself on the scoresheet, after Lewis had done well to deny more home advances, including tipping another effort onto the post. 

Gilbey strode into the area and placed his effort past Lewis in the City net to complete a resounding victory for the Milton Keynes outfit. 

CITY: Harry Lewis (GK), Brad Halliday, Liam Ridehalgh, Ash Taylor, Emmanuel Osadebe (Harry Chapman 80’), Andy Cook (Tyler Smith 72’), Alex Gilliead, Sam Stubbs (C), Bobby Pointon (Daniel Oyegoke 63’), Kevin McDonald (Clarke Oduor 72’), Adam Wilson (Rayhaan Tulloch 63’). Subs not used: Colin Doyle (GK), Matty Platt. 

GOALS: Gilliead (17’).

MK DONS: Craig MacGillivray (GK), Cameron Norman, Jack Tucker, Warren O’Hora, Alex Gibey (C), Jack Payne, Joe Tomlinson, Conor Grant (MJ Williams 63’), Ethan Robson (Dawson Devoy 88’), Max Dean (Mo Eisa 76’), Daniel Harvie. Subs not used: Michael Kelly (GK), Jonathen Leko, Tommy Smith, Brooklyn Ilunga. 

GOALS: Joe Tomlinson (4’), Jack Payne (31’), Max Dean (59’), Alex Gilbey (90’).


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Contact