Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


14 October 2023

Match Reports


14 October 2023

The Bantams secured their third-successive victory under Kevin McDonald’s caretaker charge, beating AFC Wimbledon 1-0 at the Cherry Red Records Stadium.

The only goal of a tight encounter came from second-half substitute Emmanuel Osadebe, who calmly slotted his second in two games to take all three points back to West Yorkshire.

The victory also seals back-to-back league clean sheets, and City's first victory in the capital this campaign.

With a buoyant atmosphere and a bumper away following behind them, the claret and amber-clad visitors began the brighter.

Jamie Walker and Andy Cook both tested Dons goalkeeper Alex Bass inside three minutes, before City’s No.9 tried his luck again 10 minutes later, but found his effort blocked.

The hosts grew into the encounter, as the clock ticked past the 20-minute mark.

Josh Davison latched onto a loose Sam Stubbs pass, but the chance was snuffed out by a City defender.

In an attempt to end the half as leaders, Josh Neufville and Armani Little combined on the break and proved a threat on the flanks but City cleared the latter's cross comfortably.

The Dons stepped up their search for an opener, as Little and James Tilley both had optimistic strikes fantastically saved by Harry Lewis, as the visitors dealt with the danger to ensure they went into the interval with the scoreline locked.

After an hour played in South London, the hunt for the game’s first goal increased. Tilley’s driving run culminated in a fine through-ball for the ever-present Little, but he sent his powerful strike over Lewis’ net.

City responded to conceding that near-miss in fantastic fashion, and took the lead in what was a tight affair throughout. 

A long ball towards Andy Cook was headed down to Emmanuel Osadebe, who - having been introduced minutes before, and fresh from netting his first in City colours on Tuesday evening - took the ball well in his stride and slotted it past former Bantam Alex Bass in goal.

The goal was almost cancelled out minutes later, as former Sutton United striker Omar Bugiel’s headed effort cannoned off the post, but was cleared by the City defence.

Resilient defending was required from the Bantams, as the Dons continued to pile the pressure on in the closing stages. 

Liam Ridehalgh was called into action when a ball was clipped into Bugiel, and heroically intercepted the target man from finding the back of the net.

McDonald’s men were not content with one and kept on pushing. Jamie Walker’s side-footed effort was beaten away by Bass. 

The Bantams saw out the encounter in a composed manner, sending the elated 986 City supporters back to BD8 happy.

WIMBLEDON: Alex Bass, Jake Reeves, James Tilley, Josh Davison (booked 17’), Josh Neufville (Aron Sasu 68’), Armani Little (Charlie Lakin 81’), Alex Pearce (Ryan McLean 81’), Omar Bugiel, Jack Currie, Joe Lewis (booked 58’), Issac Ogundere (booked 70’). Subs not used: Ryan Sandford, Lee Brown, James Ball, Paul Kalambayi.

CITY: Harry Lewis, Brad Halliday, Liam Ridehalgh, Matty Platt (booked 7’), Richie Smallwood (booked 31’), Jamie Walker, Andy Cook (Tyler Smith 85’), Alex Gilliead, Sam Stubbs, Bobby Pointon (Daniel Oyegoke 81’), Adam Wilson (Emmanuel Osadebe 58’). Subs not used: Colin Doyle, Ash Taylor, Rayhaan Tulloch, Chisom Afoka.

GOALS: Osadebe (62’).

ATTENDANCE: 8,270 (986 travelling City supporters).

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Contact