Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


2 September 2023

Match Reports


2 September 2023

Mark Hughes' Bantams ended Mansfield Town's 100% start at the One Call Stadium, drawing 0-0 in Nottinghamshire.

The game offered very few chances, Tyler Smith went close in the first half, before new signing Rayhaan Tulloch and Bobby Pointon connected well inside the hosts' box but could not find the opener.

Nigel Clough's side ended the encounter on top, with Harry Lewis forced to deny Davis Keillor-Dunn's strong strike, as City travelled back to West Yorkshire with a point.

It was a very cagey opening 10 minutes. With the only real chances falling at the hands of a couple of Mansfield corners. However, they did not threaten the City goal.

The best chance of the half fell to Tyler Smith. Jamie Walker worked his way down the left-flank, before delivering an excellent ball into the box. Smith got his head to it but saw his effort deflected behind for a corner.

As the first half drew to a close, neither team had much to show for their efforts. Both sides were reduced to set pieces and half chances.

City looked to change that immediately after the restart, when Smith found himself with a shooting opportunity just inside the box. His shot was saved well by Christy Pym in the Mansfield goal.

Mansfield got their first shot on target in 56th minute. Kellior-Dunn found space just inside the city area and saw his shot stopped brilliantly by an outstretched Lewis.

In the 79th minute, the Mansfield fans thought they had scored. A great corner landed right on the head of Lucas Akins, his effort hit the inside of the City post and bobbled away to be cleared.

Substitutes Bobby Pointon and Rayhaan Tulloch combined for nearly a wonderful goal with just three minutes left in the 90. Some great inter-play between the pair but the eventual shot was blocked.  

When the four minutes of added time went up, both fans were happy as the game had become more and more end to end.

But that desired winning goal did not come for either team, as the game ended 0-0 in what was a real battle.

MANSFIELD: Christy Pym, Lucas Akins, Ollie Clarke (80’ George Williams), Jordan Bowery, George Maris (89’ Baily Cargill), Calum Macdonald, Aden Flint (C), Lewis Brunt, Louis Reed, Will Swan (73 James Gale), Davies Keillor-Dunn. SUBS NOT USED: Scott Flinders, George Cooper, McKeal Abdullah, John-Joe O’Toole.

CITY: Harry Lewis, Brad Halliday, Matty Platt, Richie Smallwood, Jamie Walker (68’ Rayhaan Tulloch), Emmanuel Osadebe (79’ Daniel Oyegoke), Clarke Oduor (59’ Bobby Pointon), Tyler Smith (68’ Matt Derbyshire), Sam Stubbs, Ciarán Kelly, Lewis Richards (68’ Liam Ridehalgh,). SUBS NOT USED: Colin Doyle, Chisom Afoka.

ATTENDANCE: 8,535 (1,671).

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Contact