Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


17 April 2024

Match Reports


17 April 2024

Sponsored by

Having finished the EFL Youth Alliance North West league phase in fifth place, albeit with an opportunity to go second after a postponed game, City’s under-19s established themselves well in the opening game of their group phase with a 3-1 win over Lincoln City.

Harry Ibbitson continued his fine form when he opened the scoring just after 20 minutes, before a sensational second-half double from Mo Sedibeh wrapped up a lively game at the Horsfall Community Stadium.

Lincoln were looking to avoid back-to-back defeats but did little in terms of fashioning opportunities in the opening stages, allowing the Bantams to dominate proceedings. With 21 minutes on the clock, Harry Ibbitson found himself among the goals, giving the hosts the lead.

A deep corner from Max Murray was headed back across goal by defender George Goodman. The looping ball was then directed into the net by Ibbitson’s head to break the deadlock.

Lincoln seemed to react after the setback and constantly ventured into City’s box as the half progressed. Their best opportunity came moments before the break when Gbolahan Okewoye escaped attention on the left wing. He played a pass to Russell Burko who shot inches wide from the centre of the area.

City began the second half in the best-possible way as, five minutes after the restart, they doubled their lead.

Substitute Franklin Denison read play well and intercepted a pass out of the Imps’ defence. He then slid the ball through for Mo Sedibeh who coolly rounded the goalkeeper and slotted home.

With little less than 10 minutes to go, City grabbed their third goal of the afternoon. Nice link-up between another substitute midfielder, Gabe Wadsworth, and Sedibeh was put on show after the former won the ball back in his own half.

He then slid a pass onto the left wing for Sedibeh. The winger drifted inside, taking on countless green and white shirts before hitting an effort from 18 yards out. It found the bottom-right corner and gave City a 3-0 lead.

The three points were secure for the Bantams going into injury time, but they did lose their clean sheet due to substitute Dakara Wifa’s late strike. After picking the ball up on the halfway line, he dribbled through multiple bodies to break into the box and drill the ball past George Lord.

Despite Lincoln’s best efforts, including a cross from Kelly Fombad that could not be steered in, the Bantams weathered any of the Imps’ injury time attempts to get the three points and secure second place in the group, going into gameweek two of the second phase.

CITY: George Lord, Dylan Wilkinson (Franklin Denison 45’), Lewis Boney, Sam Bentley (Gabe Wadsworth 74’), George Goodman, Leon Brooks, Mo Sedibeh, Max Murray, Harry Ibbitson, Cameron Paul (Eni Rotimi 77’), Oliver Thompson. UNUSED SUBS: Bilal Hussain.

GOALS: Ibbitson (21’), Sedibeh (50’, 82’).

LINCOLN: Isaac Allen, Louis Nesbitt, Kelly Fombad, Denny Oliver, Resharne McLean, Charlie Carlisle, Gbolahan Okewoye, Kye Perkins, Alex Moore (Dakara Wifa 73’), Russell Burko, Zane Okoro. UNUSED SUBS: Carter Ford.

GOALS: Dakara Wifa.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Contact