Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


17 February 2024

Match Reports


17 February 2024

Graham Alexander's side recorded a third-straight victory this afternoon, triumphing 1-0 over Sutton United. 

Calum Kavanagh’s 54th-minute strike gave the Bantams all three points, City’s No.8 scoring in back-back games after his strike in midweek against MK Dons.

After a quiet opening 15 minutes, the Bantams created the first real chance of the afternoon through Andy Cook.

Brad Halliday was allowed space and time to run into the penalty area and play a ball back into the area which was met by Cook, who was leaning back and saw his shot balloon over. 

City continued to knock on the visitors' door with Cook at it again. The ever lively Clarke Oduor's curling cross to the back post found City’s No.9, but his header was kept out by Dean Bouzanis. 

The closest Sutton came before the break was late in the first half through former Bantam Lee Angol. His long range free-kick whistled a few feet wide of Sam Walker's goal. 

Kicking off the second half, the visitors remained a threat on the break, and tested Walker once again through Harry Smith. A long ball was played in behind the Bantams' defence, and Smith turned Jonathan Tomkinson but saw Walker equal to his effort. 

Sutton kept the pressure up on the hosts after a chaotic few seconds in City’s box. Chances fell to Angol and Smith but were denied by Sam Walker who kept his clean sheet intact. 

Almost immediately, City went up the other end to open the scoring through Calum Kavanagh, breaking the deadlock just before the hour mark.

A through ball was played into City’s No.8 by Clarke Oduor to leave the Irishman one on one. He coolly slotted his left-footed effort past the 'keeper and into the top corner as the Bantams hit the front. 

Only minutes later, the hosts almost doubled the lead through Cook. A lofted ball over the top of the defence by Liam Ridehalgh found Cook, who neatly turned his defender and would have got himself on the scoresheet if not for another smart save from Bouzanis. 

City continued to pressure the visitors in search of a second, coming close through Oduor. Lovely quick interchange play between Sam Stubbs and Kavanagh found Oduor, whose shot tested the goalkeeper, but was kept out. 

Entering the closing stages of the game, Graham Alexander's side were still in pursuit of their second goal, piling players forward in the process. Halliday was given time and space on the edge of the area, and saw his shot tipped behind for a corner. 

The visitors challenged City until the end, but their efforts came up short, as the Bantams saw out the remainder of the game to make it nine points taken in the space of nine days, and five-consecutive clean sheets. 

CITY: Sam Walker, Brad Halliday, Liam Ridehalgh, Matty Platt (Kevin McDonald 71’), Calum Kavanagh (Tyreik Wright 71’), Andy Cook, Alex Gilliead (C), Clarke Oduor, Sam Stubbs, Ciarán Kelly, Jonathen Tomkinson. Unused subs: Colin Doyle, Tyler Smith, Bobby Pointon, Adam Wilson, Noah Wadsworth.

GOALS: Kavanagh (54’). 

SUTTON: Dean Bouzanis, Nino Adom-Malaki, Ben Goodliffe, Harry Smith, Omari Patrick, Craig Eastmond (C), Joe Kizzi, Ryan Jackson, Deon Moore (Stephen Duke-McKenna 61’), Charlie Lakin, Lee Angol (Olly Sanderson 61’). Unused subs: Steve Arnold, Omar Sowunmi, Christian N’Guessan, Jack Taylor, Jay Williams.

ATTENDANCE: 16,697 (87 travelling Sutton supporters). 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Contact