Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


1 March 2024

Match Reports


1 March 2024

Sponsored by

City’s under-19s returned to winning ways after back-to-back defeats on Tuesday, overcoming Yorkshire neighbours Rotherham United 3-2 in the EFL Youth Alliance North East Division.

Played at the Sheffield Hallam University Sports Park, the thrilling encounter was edged as a goal from centre-back, Leon Brooks and a brace from Mo Sedibeh got Neil Redfearn’s side over the line.

Rotherham looked to set the tone of the fixture from kick-off. Within five minutes, Zac Hadi had been tested by the boot of Kane Richardson, but the City stopper was equal to it and dived to his right to prevent an early goal.

The Millers backline also proved to be a tough unit to break down in the early stages. However, 14 minutes in, City had the lead.

The young Bantams attempted a long throw-in which bounced awkwardly in the box. Leon Brooks was quickest to react and stormed in to head the ball into the top corner.

Rotherham pushed for an equaliser but were once again denied by Hadi’s heroics. A scramble from a corner featured attempts to poke the ball in from Ben Hatton and Richardson, yet the Bantams’ ‘keeper was alert to deny both close-range attempts.

Although, it was a danger sign as on their next venture forward the Millers took their chance to level the score. After Hadi pushed a cross away from danger, Richardson dribbled back into the area before drilling a shot that nestled into the bottom-right corner.

With just over 40 minutes played, the Bantams looked the more convincing side in possession and proved this by regaining the advantage before the break.

A brilliant solo run from Mo Sedibeh was capped off when he curled the ball delicately past Bailey Hamilton to reinstate City’s lead.

The visitors - hungry for goals - remained rampant as they added a third before the interval.

Another run that dazzled defenders, once again from the skilful Sedibeh, allowed the winger to break into the box and slot it past Hamilton who, for the second time in five minutes, had to retrieve the ball from in his goal.

The second 45 were evenly contested with the young Bantams just edging the attacking statistics. Donald Kamwa had the best opportunity when his close-range shot was deflected over the bar by the leg of a Rotherham defender.

Seventy minutes were on the clock when Rotherham began their threat of a comeback.

A carefully-constructed passing move in the midfield was redirected to the chest of danger man Richardson. He darted into the box before squaring it into the feet of substitute Reece Wilson. The forward remained composed and tapped the ball into the empty net.

Following this goal, the game changed, forcing the Bantams to defend deeper. After weathering series of Rotherham attacks, including a goal ruled out for offside, the final whistle drew the curtain on a lively encounter.

City’s attacking prowess proved the difference with three well-taken goals that devastated the Millers’ defence and saw Redfearn’s charges return to winning ways.

CITY XI: George Lord, Max Murray, Lewis Boney, Sam Bentley, George Goodman, Leon Brooks, Donald Kamwa, Oliver Thompson, Camron Paul, Mo Sedibeh, Zante Rose-Campbell (Joel Martin 70’) UNUSED SUBS: Fin Gledhill, Josh Prior, Mohamed Mahmoud.

GOALS: Brooks (14’) Sedibeh (44’, 45+2’).

ROTHERHAM XI: Bailey Hamilton, Hamed Seisay, Owain Gordon (Mckenzie Paisley 66’), Cohen Lee, Harry Roddis, Ben Scothern, Ben Hatton, George Giwa, Josh Ayres, Kane Richardson (Adam Clark 82’), Louie Abraham (Reece Wilson 48’) UNUSED SUBS: Hayden Blow.

GOALS: Richardson (24’) Wilson (71’).

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Contact