Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


30 March 2024

Match Reports


30 March 2024

Sponsored by

Having dominated in a 5-1 victory over Huddersfield Town in their previous home fixture, City’s under-19s triumphed 3-2 over Rotherham United on their return to the Horsfall Community Stadium in the EFL Youth Alliance North East Division.

In an end-to-end encounter, the Bantams came out on top thanks to two sublime Max Murray goals either side of half-time, and a long-range strike from Cameron Paul.

Rotherham, looking to go top of the league, started fast and made an impact just three minutes in as the ball was squeezed in at the near post through a crowd of bodies.

The Millers continued to press and, with 20 minutes on the clock, target man Josh Ayres flashed an effort toward goal that looked destined to find the back of the net. However, George Lord did well to get a small touch on it and divert the ball away and out for a corner.

It was not long after this attack that the Bantams responded. With their first venture forward of the match, Lewis Boney teased a lovely low cross in from the left which was met by the boot of Max Murray. He delicately poked it home to level the score.

Moments before half-time, City had turned the tie on its head with a second goal.

A sweeping clearance from Leon Brooks forced Harry Ibbitson to challenge for the ball in the air with Rotherham’s goalkeeper, Bailey Hamilton. Hamilton won the header but it dropped 25 yards out for Cameron Paul. He hit it first time into the back of an empty net to give City a 2-1 lead going into the break.

Rotherham responded after the break, and within 10 minutes of the restart, had levelled things once again.

Ayres darted down the right, looking to escape the jockeying Leon Brooks. Ayres skilfully cut on to his left foot and finalised a lovely solo effort by curling it into the bottom-left corner from the edge of the area.

Rotherham were not resting on their laurels and almost added a third swiftly after. Ayres once again caused the Bantams problems and, when Lord failed to catch a cross from the right, he was on hand to tap it in from close range. Yet, a brave block on the line from Fin Gledhill prevented the visitors from restoring their lead.

In what was a very scrappy second 45, City’s third goal was crafted and finished with an abundance of quality.

A wonderful pass from Harry Ibbitson split the Rotherham defence open and allowed Murray to run through on goal. He remained composed and took it around Hamilton to slot into an empty net.

Rotherham piled on pressure in added time by rifling long balls up the field in an attempt to invigorate their aerial targets. Nevertheless, City stood their ground and claimed a deserved 3-2 victory at full-time.

CITY XI: George Lord, Dylan Wilkinson, Lewis Boney, Sam Bentley, Leon Brooks, Fin Gledhill, Max Murray, Harry Ibbitson, Cameron Paul, Mo Sedibeh (Joel Martin 75’), Oliver Thompson. UNUSED SUBS: Franklin Denison.

GOALS: Max Murray (22’, 80’), Cameron Paul (45’).

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Contact